We’re suckers for a nutrient rich facial serum, one we dub “skin food,” so we created our very own!
But did you know that it’s just as important to pay attention to what you eat, as it is to the ingredients you choose to apply to your skin? Your skin is your body’s largest organ after all (in case you didn’t know!).
Everything you eat will have an impact on your skin, good or bad, so naturally, we encourage you to opt for the foods that will boost skin health while keeping your insides, specifically your gut, healthy and lower your risk of disease. It’s no longer just a “fad” to buy into the holistic view of health, there is a clear link between gut and skin health.
Antioxidants and healthy fats, along with an array of skin-loving vitamins and minerals will help to ward off skin-aging free radicals while promoting a gorgeous, dewy glow.
In this article, we’ll share 3 of our favorite gut-healing recipes that are super simple to whip up and so rich in skin lovin’ nutrients, your skin won’t have any choice but to glow, baby glow!
But first, here are a few symptoms of gut imbalance that may manifest on your skin, preventing that oh-so-coveted glowing look:
Smashed Avo On Toast (with a twist!)
Avocados are a love affair that will last a lifetime. They’re creamy and rich, not to mention full of healthy fats to reduce inflammation, and Vitamin E to fight free radicals. Sure, avocado toast is delicious, but why not take it to the next level by topping it with protein-rich roasted chickpeas and gut friendly kimchi to keep your skin clear and healthy and your nervous system balanced.
- 2 slices whole-grain or gluten free bread, toasted (We recommend sticking to whole grain bread that hasn’t been processed or gluten free if your gut is sensitive)
- ½ large avocado
- 2 tablespoons roasted chickpeas
- 1 tbsp kimchi
- Pink salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of cilantro or parsley (great heavy metal detoxifier)
- Use a fork to mash that avocado onto your toast
- Top with your roasted chickpeas, kimchi, salt, and pepper
- Add cilantro or parsley as the finishing touch and to refresh your palate
Tropical Smoothie Bowl
Warmer weather calls for creamy dreamy smoothie bowls, and you can’t go wrong with combining tropical fruits to transport you to your own personal paradise with just one taste!
Fruits are rich in nutrients to keep your skin clear and healthy, while coconut milk adds a dose of healthy, filling fats. Kombucha (yes, kombucha in a smoothie bowl!) is the real gut-healing superstar in this recipe!
- 3 cups frozen tropical fruit blend (pineapple, mango, melon)
- 1 ½ cups kombucha (plain)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Blend until smooth
- Add your favorite toppings
Go wild with your toppings, choose from healthy options like fresh fruit, shredded coconut, chia seeds, hemp seeds, vegan chocolate, whatever your heart desires! (as long as it’s good for you and your skin, of course!)
Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles
You are seriously missing out if you have never enjoyed a hearty bowl of zucchini noodles!
You’ll be surprised at how yummy they actually are and with their incredible health benefits, you are going to want them in your belly asap!
While traditional pasta can leave you feeling bloated and potentially aggravate your skin, zucchini noodles will allow you to eat second and third helpings without feeling heavy and you won’t have to worry about waking up to an unexpected blemish!
- 2 large zucchinis or 1 package of store-bought zucchini noodles
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp vegan-friendly pesto
- 1 handful pitted black olives
- Fresh basil, parsley, and lemon zest for garnish
- In heated pan with olive oil, add cherry tomatoes and cook until “popping” or when tomatoes begin to release juices
- Add garlic, black olives, and pesto to the pan, allowing garlic to cook through but not brown
- Toss zucchini noodles in the pan and gently stir with other ingredients until cooked but not mushy
- Garnish with basil, parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon zest to taste
These three meals can be enjoyed as often as possible and you can rest assured your skin will love you for it!